Monday 23 September 2019

Fashion for Good - Part One

Hey everyone hope you are all well! I thought today I would tell you all about Fashion for Good, an interactive museum based in Amsterdam. Fashion for Good's mission is to bring together the entire fashion ecosystem through their Innovation Platform and be an instigator for change. I visited the Fashion for Good interactive museum (which is actually the world's first interactive museum for sustainable fashion innovation) back in April. It was honestly my favourite exhibition ever - it was well up my street, so much so I have made two parts to this. Part One will be all about the actual museum experience but Part Two will showcase the interesting work, Fashion for Good does.





Firstly the museum is free (if you are based in Amsterdam or just visiting I highly recommend popping in, click here to visit the website for more information) and provides visitors with Action Bracelets made from recycled plastic which you scan throughout the museum. The aim is to make a Good Fashion Action Plan using the bracelet to commit to actions. 


On my visit I was advised to start at the Journey of a T-shirt section first and learnt that the apparel industry accounts for an estimated 8% of the world's total greenhouse gas emissions. The museum shows in depth how a T-shirt is made, from the raw material stage to fabric production, dyeing, cutting & sewing, transport, retail and then the use stage. I learnt so much, but this one statistic stood out to me, for an average T-shirt an estimated 0.6% of the retail price goes to the factory who made the garment!! Within this section there is also a visual timeline of Good Fashion from the late 1700s to the late 2010s as well as a video showing the human impacts fashion has.




Upstairs is the Innovation Lounge which is full to the brim with information about innovative fabrics and sustainable initiatives. One that stood out to me was BEXT360 (USA) which traces raw materials and products from source to shopper. The platform can verify where products come from and whether they are authentic, using a unique combination of blockchain,(blockchain is a record of transactions originally developed for cryptocurrencies) machine vision and artificial intelligence technology. BEXT360 makes supply chain traceability into a science benefiting both the consumers and companies. To read more click here.


  
There is a shop on the ground floor full of sustainable and ethically made garments from really interesting brands. I really enjoyed having a look at what alternatives there are, compared to the average fast fashion brands! There is so much more at the Fashion for Good Experience that I haven't covered here, so if you are interested you may have to go and visit. 



Hope you enjoyed! 

All my love
Ames 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment